Running Start is a program that allows 11th and 12th grade students to take college courses at Washington's 34 community and technical colleges. Students earn both high school and college credits for these courses.
Running Start students and their families do not pay tuition. They are responsible for mandatory fees, books and transportation. Students receive both high school and college credit for these classes, which accelerates their progress through the education system.
The mission of Running Start is to provide student services support to qualified high school students who are registered in college courses at Seattle Central while following all Washington State Running Start laws and college policies and guidelines. We are able to serve our students and the college through:
- Promoting academic success through advising and counseling sessions.
- Promoting a successful transition from high school to college.
- Offering college transfer and career advising and counseling.
- Promoting Running Start through outreach to area high schools.
- Supporting accessibility and equity of the Running Start Program for eligible students.
How to Apply to Running Start
To qualify for the program a student must:
- Be under 21 years of age and enrolled in any Washington State public high school or school district.
- Be a junior or senior in high school. Fifth or second year seniors can only enroll in Running Start if they have already participated during their regular junior or senior year and then only take high school graduation requirements.
- Place in English 101 and/or college level math (100 level or above) on the COMPASS Test.
- For Natural Science courses students must also place into a minimum of MATH 084.
- Have parent/guardian and counselor signatures and approval to participate in the program.
Priority Applications Dates
We will accept applications after these dates but course selection may be limited.
- Fall: May 1
- Winter: November 1
- Spring: February 1
Procedures for Acceptance
- Prepare for the COMPASS Test by going to this website beforeyoutest.org
- Come to the Running Start office (1102 C1) with a picture ID to get a student ID number for testing. Testing fee is $19 — however, a fee waiver eligibility form for students on free or reduced lunch is available in the Running Start office or on our Running Start website under "Forms" (note form must be signed by student's high school counselor). Take the COMPASS Test. No appointment is required. Please click on the COMPASS link for testing hours.
- Take test results to the Running Start office, fill out an Enrollment Packet, and schedule an advising / registration appointment with a Running Start Advisor.
- Meet with a high school counselor and complete the Enrollment Verification Form included in the Enrollment Packet.
- Bring the completed Enrollment Packet and a copy of your test scores to your advising / registration appointment.
- Attend the mandatory Running Start Orientation.
|Maki Hosoda||Curriculum Advisor||Maki.Hosoda@seattlecolleges.edu|
|Todd Haak||Manager, Running Start Program||Todd.Haak@seattlecolleges.edu|