How to Apply to Running Start
Running Start does just that: It gives high school juniors and seniors a running start on college–level classes. Those classes count twice: once towards fulfillment of high school graduation requirements and again for college credit. Some Running Start students have been able to graduate from high school and at the same time receive their Associate of Arts degree from Seattle Central.
Running Start Summer Hours:
Mon June 29–Thurs July 2: 8 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Friday July 3: holiday
Monday July 6–Sept 4: 8 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Fridays: 8–12 p.m.
To qualify for the program a student must:
- Be under 21 years of age and enrolled in any Washington State public high school or school district.
- Be a junior or senior in high school. Fifth or second year seniors can only enroll in Running Start if they have already participated during their regular junior or senior year and then only take high school graduation requirements.
- Place in English 101 and/or college level math (100 level or above) on the COMPASS Test.
- For Natural Science courses students must also place into a minimum of MATH 084.
- Have parent/guardian and counselor signatures and approval to participate in the program.
Priority Applications Dates
We will accept applications after these dates but course selection may be limited.
- Fall: May 1
- Winter: November 1
- Spring: February 1
Procedures for acceptance
- Prepare for the COMPASS Test by going to this website beforeyoutest.org
- Come to the Running Start office (1102 C1) with a picture ID to get a student ID number for testing. Testing fee is $19 — however, a fee waiver eligibility form for students on free or reduced lunch is available in the Running Start office or on our Running Start website under "Forms" (note form must be signed by student's high school counselor). Take the COMPASS Test. No appointment is required. Please click on the COMPASS link for testing hours.
- Take test results to the Running Start office, fill out an Enrollment Packet, and schedule an advising / registration appointment with a Running Start Advisor.
- Meet with a high school counselor and complete the Enrollment Verification Form included in the Enrollment Packet.
- Bring the completed Enrollment Packet and a copy of your test scores to your advising / registration appointment.
- Attend the mandatory Running Start Orientation.
|Maki Hosoda||Curriculum Advisor||Maki.Hosoda@seattlecolleges.edu|
|Todd Haak||Manager, Running Start Program||Todd.Haak@seattlecolleges.edu|