Opticianry Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of the program students will be able to participate in the Opticianry process. Students shall achieve the following objectives throughout the program by:
- Learning the principles of ophthalmic optics.
- Developing a knowledge and understanding of ophthalmic products.
- Learning to use ophthalmic products.
- Recognizing the legal implications associated with the ophthalmic practice.
- Learning and practicing how to manufacture eye-wear meeting A.N.S.I. specifications.
- Learning the principles of contact lenses.
- Applying ocular anatomy and physiology to ophthalmic dispensing.
- Learning and carrying out the specific responsibilities of the ophthalmic dispenser in the medical/retail setting.
- Practicing dispenser–client human relations skills as applicable to the business environment.
- Preparing for and ultimately successfully completing state and national licensing and certifying examinations.
- Applying knowledge and skills learned in the actual job setting through Cooperative Education.
- Demonstrating and adapting the knowledge and skills acquired to the variety of business style available in Ophthalmic Dispensing.
- Adapting knowledge and skills acquired to the ever–changing technological environment throughout the graduate's career.
- Functioning actively as a contributing member of the ophthalmic health care team.