The Global Studies Emphasis for the A.A. or A.S. degree integrates the study of politics, economics and the arts with analyses of cultural practices, beliefs and social systems. Students learn to appreciate and understand world cultures, focus on themes of global significance, and develop an interdisciplinary approach to international issues.
Students who choose an A.A. or A.S. degree with the Global Studies Emphasis can transfer to a four–year school and major in Global/International Studies or a variety of other specialties that include international aspects.
Note: Although the Global Studies Emphasis does not serve as an articulation to any university, several of the courses may meet prerequisites to enter international/global studies–related majors.
Students who successfully complete this emphasis will be able to:
- identify key events and ideas in modern history, politics and societies in the world outside of the United States
- recognize and explain the significance of global diversity and global interdependence
- analyze the impact of historical events, culture, political structures, religion and/or geography on world events
- express the importance of cultural differences in the local and world community
- describe the geographical, political and social issues of a country or region other than their own
- demonstrate entry–level skills in a foreign language
Career possibilities for those who major in Global/International Studies include:
- non–profit and non–governmental organizations
- government and business
For example, education careers could include:
- teaching English overseas
- K–12 or college teaching
- working with educational exchange programs
Private sector business and trade opportunities include:
- transportation and the travel industry
Government work could extend to:
- Foreign Service
- Peace Corps
- Immigration agencies
Work in one of the many non–profit organizations could involve foreign policy, assistance to developing countries, peace and security issues and/or refugees. For many of these careers, students will need to get a master's degree.