A homestay is an opportunity to experience American life firsthand. Living with a host family is not just a housing option; it is a cultural experience! We encourage students to take advantage of the homestay option for at least a few months during their stay in the United States.
General information about homestays
- Students in homestays are provided with their own bedroom, which includes a desk at which to study.
- It is common for students to pay for their homestay one month at a time.
- Host families normally live within a 30 – 40 minute bus ride from campus. Our downtown location makes taking the bus easy and convenient.
- Homestay agencies try to match students with families where the students will be happy. Agencies will consider important factors like smoking, strong religious preferences, and whether or not the student likes children or pets.
- If airport pickup is part of the service, students are usually met at the airport and taken to the host family by the host family or the agency. Remember to give the agency airport arrival information as early as possible.
Information for parents of underage students
It is strongly recommended that students under the age of 18 live with a host family. Host families provide structure and support to students as they get used to life in Seattle. Although host families do not act as legal guardians, host family agencies ask underage students and their parents to sign a behavioral agreement, as well as a form allowing host parents to make medical decisions in the event of an emergency.
Recommendations to parents of underage students:
- Get to know the host family with whom your child is living. Make sure you have contact information (email, phone) so you can be in touch with them about your child.
- Keep the contact information for the host family agency so you can communicate with them should there be any problem with your child’s living situation. placeme
Cost of a homestay
The cost of a homestay ranges from $250 to $350 for the placement fee (this includes the cost of an airport pickup), and approximately $700 a month for housing and food. Typical homestay options include food for meals, laundry and utilities. Your homestay may charge an additional $25 for internet service.
Following are host family agencies working with Seattle Central. These are professional agencies who know our campus and the surrounding communities. To arrange a homestay, you will need to contact an agency directly, and make all of the arrangements.
Currently not accepting new applications for Fall 2016
20126 Ballinger Way NE, #84
Shoreline, WA 98155
Phone: (206) 527-8654
Fax: (206) 524-7780
Web site: www.abodehomestay.com
THE PLACE - Seattle
P.O. Box 20731
Seattle, WA 98102
Phone: (206) 351-0121
Fax: (206) 361-7172
Web site: www.theplaceseattle.com
USA International Development, Inc.
9614 NE 201st Street
Bothell, WA 98011
Phone: (425) 483-5974
Fax: (425) 485-1891
Web site: www.ushomestay.com