A homestay is an opportunity to experience American life firsthand and is a very popular housing choice for our incoming students. Students in a homestay see life in the U.S. from "the inside", and can start a friendship with a family that may last for many years. Living with a host family is not just a housing option; it is a cultural experience!
Most host families live in the suburbs of Seattle, giving our students the opportunity to get a different perspective on American life than what they get from their experience on our downtown Seattle campus. Some students spend only a couple of months with their host families, and others may stay two years or more. We encourage students to take advantage of the homestay option for at least a few months during their stay in the United States.
General information about homestays
- - Students in homestays are provided with their own bedroom, which includes a desk at which to study.
- - It is common for students to pay for their homestay one month at a time.
- - Host families normally live within a 30 – 40 minute bus ride from campus. Our downtown location makes taking the bus easy and convenient. From our campus, students can make connections to neighborhoods all over the city.
- - The host family agencies try to match students with families where the students will be happy. The agency will consider factors like smoking, strong religious preferences, whether or not the student likes children or pets, and other important issues.
- - It is important to apply early for a host family. Seattle Central recommends that you contact one of our homestay partner agencies no later than 6 weeks before classes begin.
- - If airport pickup is important, be sure to choose a homestay agency that provides this service. If airport pickup is part of the service, students are usually met at the airport and taken to the host family by the host family or the agency.
- - It is important to give the agency airport arrival information as early as possible.
Cost of a homestay
Host family agencies have different options, depending on the kind of living situation you are looking for. The cost of a homestay ranges from $250 to $350 for the placement fee (this includes the cost of an airport pickup) and $600 to $625 a month for full room and board. Traditional homestay options typically include food for meals, laundry and utilities. Your homestay may charge an additional $25 for internet service.
Following are host family agencies working with Seattle Central. These are professional agencies who know our campus and the surrounding communities. To arrange a homestay, you will need to contact an agency directly, and make all of the arrangements.
P.O Box 25615
Federal Way 98093-2615
Phone: (253) 835-4337
Fax: (253) 835-4341
*Seattle Homestay accepts applications from students 18 and older