Frequently Asked Questions

This FAQ is intended to inform Seattle Central's new and returning students about the financial aid application process.

What is Seattle Central's Title IV School Code?


When should I apply for financial aid?

Provide all information and forms by the deadline specified. If your application is late or incomplete, you may not be considered for all the aid programs available. Don't wait to be admitted–meet the priority deadline even if you don't plan to attend until Winter or Spring because our priority deadline applies for the whole year, not just Fall.

Do income tax returns need to be completed before filling out the FAFSA?

It is a good idea to have completed the federal tax return before filling out the FAFSA, since exact tax information can make processing faster and simpler. If this cannot be done in time for you to meet the priority deadline, use estimated figures when completing the application. If the estimated figures differ from the actual figures, send or bring the completed tax return to the Financial Aid Office.

Am I going to be eligible for financial aid?

The Financial Aid Office is unable to answer this question until all of the application tasks have been complete and the individual file reviewed. Files are reviewed in the order they are complete and financial aid awards are based both on a student's eligibility for aid and funds available at the time the student applies.

Do I have to be enrolled full–time to receive financial aid?

No, you do not need to be a full–time student to receive financial aid funds. All initial financial aid awards are based on full–time enrollment of 12 or more credits. Students who do not plan to take 12 or more credits must notify the Financial Aid Office in writing immediately after they have finished their registration, to inform us of the number of credits they will be taking. We will then review your aid award to determine if we are required by Federal and / or state regulations to reduce your aid to reflect your reduced credit level.

I support myself—do my parents still have to fill out the FAFSA?

Yes, if students answer no to all seven questions of step three of the FAFSA application, by federal law they are required to include their parent information. If your parents do not provide their information on your application, you cannot be considered for aid.

If you have special circumstances and can provide documentation that something occurred that severed the relationship with your parent(s), and you can provide documentation that you have no contact with your parent(s), contact the Financial Aid Office.

What if my family situation or income changes?

Give the new information to the Financial Aid Office. They will provide you with the information needed to document your change and will make you an appointment with a financial aid advisor who will determine if the change affects your eligibility.

Do not send correspondence with your FAFSA application, as it will only delay processing and will be destroyed. Information explaining your family's special circumstances should be made to the Financial Aid Office.

How will I be notified if I am eligible for financial aid?

Students with a complete financial aid application at Seattle Central are notified by mail regarding their eligibility. Students who complete their application by the priority deadline are notified first.

I have been awarded financial aid from Seattle Central, how do I know if my refund is ready?

If the total of your grants is greater than your tuition and fees charged, you will receive a financial aid refund for the funds remaining, after your tuition and fees are paid. Refunds are available beginning the first class day of each quarter. Make sure to select a refund choice through your Higher One card at

Once the quarter has begun, checks generally take three business days to arrive from the date the student has been awarded financial aid, completed all registration activity, and has notified the Financial Aid Office in writing that they are registered for fewer than 12 credits.

To avoid problems and delays we recommend that your complete all registration activity at least one week prior to the beginning of the quarter.

Detailed information about the Seattle Colleges Card

I have been awarded financial aid from Seattle Central, and had an emergency that prevents me from completing one or more of my classes. Will that affect my eligibility for future financial aid?

If a student completes zero credits, they may owe a repayment of financial aid funds, regardless of circumstances (see Repayment of Financial Aid Funds under, After You Have Been Awarded). Students are also required to maintain satisfactory academic progress to continue to remain eligible for funds (see satisfactory progress).

Contact the Financial Aid Office before you withdraw from courses. If you have any questions about how it may affect your continued eligibility, please call 206.934.3844.

Back to the Top