Directions: Complete the chart with the correct preposition. You
will use some prepositions more than once.
- look forward ___________________
- be tired _______________________
- be used _______________________
- insist _________________________
- believe _______________________
- apologize _____________________
- approve ______________________
- succeed ______________________
- be worried ____________________
- be opposed ___________________
Directions: Read the following conversations that take place a student
council meeting. Complete the summary sentences. Use the expressions
in Exercise 1 and the gerund form of the verbs in parentheses ( ).
- Kyle: Where were you? It's 7:30. Our meeting started at
John: I know. I'm sorry.
John apologized for coming
- Matt: I have some good news. We've reached our goal.
Since our last meeting, we've collected more than 100 student signatures in
favor of going on strike.
The students ______________________________ more than 100 signatures.
- Amy: I'm not sure it's a good idea to strike.
John: Final exams are in a few weeks. It'll be a problem if we
John __________________________________________ classes.
- Amy: I don't know. We've always solved our problems with the
John: That's true. In the past they've always listened to us.
These students __________________________________ together with the
- Amy: I'm against striking. We should talk to the
John: I agree. That's the best way to solve this problem.
Amy and John ______________________________ to the administration again.
- Matt: We keep asking the administration for a response.
They've said nothing.
Eva: That's right. We've had enough. We don't want to wait
These students _________________________________________ for an answer.
- John: Can we give this decision a little more time?
Matt: No, I'm sorry. We really have to reach a decision today.
Matt _____________________________ a decision immediately.
- Matt: Let's take a vote. All those in favor of going on strike
raise your hand....OK. That's 10 for and 2 against. We'll
recommend a strike to the student body.
The student council _________________________________ a strike.
- Eva: Only two people voted no.
Only two council members ______________________________ on strike.
- Amy: I don't know about you, but I'll be glad when all this is over.
John: I know what you mean. I'll be happy when things return to
Amy and John are _________________________________ to their normal
Directions: Complete this editorial in the student newspaper.
Use the gerund form of the appropriate verbs from the box.
Yesterday the student council voted 10 to 2 in
favor of 1) ___________________ on strike. By
2)_______________________, they hope to reverse the administrations'
decision to fire two popular teachers. The students are very much
against 3) __________________________ teachers because of their political
views. They strongly believe in 4) ________________ the free
expression of all opinions. They feel that teachers, as well as
students, should be able to say what they want without 5) __________
afraid of the administration's reaction.
If the student council succeeds in 6)
| the strike will begin on Tuesday. Not all
students, however, support the idea of a strike. Many are afraid of
7) ___________________ classes just a few weeks before exam time.
They haven't given up 8) _____________________ to solve the problem with
the administration. Other students haven't made up their minds
yet. Which side are you on? Before 9) _______________ a final
decision, we suggest that you attend the students' meeting on Monday at
4:00. After 10) _______________________________ both sides, it may
be easier to make a decision.
Directions: How do you feel about school? Complete the following
sentences by adding a preposition and a gerund.
- I'm looking forward
- I'm a little worried
- I've gotten used
- I sometimes get tired